Framing Sea Fans

Oh I do love sea fans. They are just stunning aren't they? When I look at these soft corals around my home they remind me of my days scuba diving not only here in Australia but particularly of my time spent while living & working in the dive industry in Costa Rica many years ago. 


It was only late last year when I started following Em @beachhousehames on Instagram (IG) that I decided that I would actually love some for my own home. Em has been renovating an old home by the sea and in between renovating & raising a family, she is also a beachcomber. Fortunately, for her followers on IG she sells what she finds and when she has a sale, you've got to get in quick, otherwise you miss out! 


In this blog post I've decided to show what I have done with one of the large ones that I was lucky to score.
First I bought a shadowbox frame that had been made specifically for this type of thing. However, I found that the sea fan was a tad big.


So what to do? Rather than trim the sea fan, I thought I would discard the mat. 


Now it looks rather dull against the brown backing doesn't it?


So I painted the background white with Annie Sloan's chalk paint, then sanded it and waxed it.


I then put it back in the frame. Although it looks great framed, it still looks a little bland against my white walls in a white frame. It would really stand out on a dark coloured wall. However, I'm not quite ready to change the colour of the walls in my abode as of yet. (we only just moved in a few weeks ago)


So instead, I decided to paint the frame in the colour Aubusson Blue.


And  after a couple of layers of paint, I then sanded the frame and waxed it. 


I choose the darker wax rather than the clear wax to give it an aged look.


And here it is. I'm still undecided as to where to hang it, but I think it looks quite nice on my sideboard alongside the paintings I picked up in the Caribbean a few years ago and my favourite piece of vintage coral (see earlier post) 

What do you think?

I would love to hear your thoughts.



And, in the next blog I will share a few ideas on how I have styled some of those other sea fans I have and other beachcombing finds.  This photo is of my home office shelves filled to the brim of all my favourite coastal vintage things and sea treasures. 



Comments

Subscribe to our mailing list

Popular posts from this blog

Coastal Home - Tara Dennis

Hampton's Style Home with beachy accents

Bohemian Coastal Vintage Style Home - Gold Coast