Old Bottles - Coastal Vintage Style

Do you love old bottles? Oh I certainly do. Particularly aqua & cobalt blue.

When I started sourcing old bottles for my store Coastal Vintage, funnily enough not all made it to the shop. You will find them scattered in different parts of my home placed in areas just out of reach of little fingers. I often fill them with flowers, sea fans, starfish or palm leaves. Or I collate them in groups on their own.  They are beautiful historic pieces which can create a lovely, yet simple coastal vintage sense of style.


 These bottles are displayed in the foyer of my home with fresh flowers picked by my little ones for Mother's Day.   

  
Here is a lovely collection of aqua blue bottles. Many old bottles were embossed and most of these are old remedy bottles. Don't they look great as a collection?


Or why not have a few different colours in a collection? I've included green, blue and purple in this group of 7. 
Gorgeous colours aren't they?


These green & blue look lovely with the coloured glass floats and palm leaves.


And this sweet trio of such vibrant colours - cobalt blue, dark purple and aqua green. These would make perfect little vases.


Have you seen old gin-bottles before? These are 100+ years old & look gorgeous with palm leaves in them don't they?


Aren't these sweet? Tiny old ink bottles. 


And this is a lovely old perfume bottle with a gorgeous shape.


Have you seen a soda torpedo bottle before? This shape was designed so that the round end prevented them from being stood up. The idea was that the soda kept in contact with the cork and stopped the cork from shrinking. It also created an advantage for the merchant because the consumer had to finish the beverage before the bottle could be laid down.


This is one of my favourite collections - old tiny cobalt blue poison bottles. 
To those with poor sight, the size, shape and ridges gave away that they weren't to be drunk!



And finally, purple bottles. All these are old sauce bottles and were made pre-1920. I know this because of the colour. Originally they were clear. Do you know why they are now purple? 

Well, I will let you know in the next post all about how they became purple and a little history. 
They are simply gorgeous displayed with shells and starfish. 

And until then, feel free to pop over and see the huge variety of colour bottles we have in-store  by clicking on this link:


Comments

  1. I am particularly partial to the vintage pale blue ones. They look fab in a coastal home. I love how you've styled them.
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Coastal Home - Tara Dennis

Hampton's Style Home with beachy accents

Bohemian Coastal Vintage Style Home - Gold Coast